“This house believes that the economy is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the environment”
This is an “Oxford Union-style debate, between some of the most erudite speakers, all focused on the tri-junction between Economics, Biodiversity, Change and Health. Policymakers, planners, economists and industrialists have been at odds with social and environmental groups for decades and this event from the Sanctuary Nature Foundation seeks to demonstrate that meaningful dialogue is vital, with people being free to disagree… without being disagreeable.
The Sanctuary Global Debate: “This house believes that the economy is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the environment”
Chairperson: Mr. Amitabh Kant,-CEO, Niti Aayog
Speakers For the Motion
1. Mr Navroz Dubash – Professor, Centre for Policy Research, Mumbai.
2. Dr Maria Neira– Director of the Public Health, Environment and Social Determinants of Health Department of the World Health Organisation
3. Mr Pavan Sukhdev, Chairperson GIST Advisory, President WWF International, Gland, Switzerland.
Speakers Against the Motion
1. Mr Rohit Bansal – Group Communications – Reliance Industries Ltd., Mumbai
2. Ms Priyanka Chaturvedi, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha, Mumbai.
3. Ms Jyotsna Puri, Head and Director, Independent Evaluation Office of the Green Climate Fund (GCF)